How Dog Fitness Can Be Good For People Fitness
Dog fitness is not always top of mind for pet owners but when a dog is out of shape, it’s never terribly surprising when the owner is as well. While it’s possible to get your dog in shape without putting in any effort of your own, it can be fun to do it together. Both dogs and humans are happier and healthier when they engage in enough physical activity to stay in shape. Look at it this way; If your dog is your best friend, you will both get to spend more time together if you commit to getting fit together. It ain't rocket science.
But, you may be asking, "What are some of the things I can do with my dog that will be beneficial to my health and hers (or his)?" We compiled a list of some activities you can do with your dog that will help to keep you both in shape. You'll feel better and your dog will love it!
The Path to Lasting Dog Fitness
- Swimming. – Most dogs are naturally good at swimming, and it is a low-impact exercise that is good for you and your pet.
- A quick word of warning – keep an eye on your dog when swimming, as he might not naturally know how to get out of the pool when tired.
- Wolves, coyotes, and other canines spend a ton of time hiking every day. It’s a natural act and one that your dog will immediately take to.
- You may need a few attempts to get your dog running beside the bike, but it’s well worth trying.
- If you are not a regular runner, be sure to go easy on the pace. You can always increase the speed when you both get in shape.
- There are dog treadmills on the market, but those will not help you get in shape.
Get Fit With Your Dogs. They'll Love You For It.
Dogs naturally love to stay active, but they will also sleep all day of you allow them to. Before you know it, you and your pet are both just laying around, snoozing and watching television, which is not good for either of you. Get up. Get out. Have some fun and get fit. Spending some quality time with your dog is a great way to strengthen your bond, as well as your muscles if you follow the tips we've outlined above.
RX Fitness Equipment Is Here to Help
If you're about to start a new fitness routine and you'd like to discuss it with a professional, RX Fitness works with hundreds of coaches, personal trainers, and physical therapists. We'd be happy to refer you to one who can help. If you're looking for a great selection of fitness equipment and accessories of all kinds, we carry the top brands to fit every goal and budget and we're here to make your fitness routine more productive. Stop by any of our three store locations or give us a call. And don't forget to check out Tim's best-selling book, Fitness Equipment – A Shopper's Guide, available at Amazon and other online book sellers as well as in our store.