Step by Step Instructions for the Double Kettlebell Windmill
Time for another in our series on kettlebell exercises. This week, we're illustrating the proper execution of the Double Kettlebell Windmill routine. This exercise is for ADVANCED users and should be approached, as with all weightlifting exercises, with care and preparation. If you're not yet at the advanced level, this is not an exercise you should attempt. The muscle groups most affected by this exercise routine will be the shoulders, triceps, abdominals, gluteus maximus, and hamstrings. Don't forget to warmup before you begin your workout. If you're new to kettlebells, we strongly urge you to workout under the supervision of a fitness professional. To see our other posts on kettlebell exercises, click "kettlebells" in the Categories menu to your right.
Double Kettlebell Windmill Steps
- A pair of kettlebells should be placed in front of your feet.
- Both kettlebells should be pulled up to waist level, making sure to extend the motion through your waist and hips.
- Use the clean motion to bring one of the kettlebells to shoulder level. You palm should be turned so that it is facing forward once the movement is complete.
- Press the kettlebell upwards, locking and maintaining a full elbow extension.
- Place your feet at a 45 degree angle and place your buttocks out and in the direction of the locked-out kettlebell. E.g. Buttocks out to the right if the kettlebell is locked out in your right hand.
- Bend your hips slowly in the opposite direction until the kettlebell in your other hand is in contact with the floor. Maintain eye contact with the overhead kettlebell at all times.
- Repeat this 8-10 times on either side.
We always recommend that you work with a fitness professional to assure that you're doing your kettlebell workout using proper form and procedure, as this will help you avoid injury. This is particularly important if you're new to kettlebell exercise. If you need a referral to find a fitness coach or personal trainer near you, RX Fitness Equipment can help. Let us know what you need.
RX Fitness Equipment Has Your Kettlebells
RX Fitness Equipment in Thousand Oaks has lots of kettlebells and accessories in a variety of weights, colors and sizes to fit every goal and budget. We're always here to offer expert advice and friendly help to assist in finding kettlebells, as well as other exercise equipment and accessories, that work for you and your fitness goals. And don't forget to check out Tim's best-selling book, Fitness Equipment – A Shopper's Guide, available at Amazon and other online book sellers as well as in our store.
Contact Tim Adams for a free consultation or stop by the store and take a test swing. We’re here to answer your questions.