5 Tips For a More Enjoyable Workout
Working out has numerous health benefits, including that it lowers the risk of several different diseases while improving muscle and lung function. But for most people, the term fun workout is an oxymoron. They know that every time they work out, it's an investment in their future health, but that by itself does not make it enjoyable. We're also told that exercise releases endorphins that make us feel happier. And while science has proven this, it's not always enough to make us stick with our fitness routine. Since your workout regime can make you feel at ease and make you healthier, there’s no reason for it to be a monotonous task. If your workout is starting to feel stale, you might feel like quitting. We've listed some ways to help you achieve that fun workout and keep your routine more enjoyable so that you stick with it.
Creating the Elusive Fun Workout
- Have a Support System – By asking a friend, family member, or significant other to join you in your workout routine, you’re being held accountable for sticking with your fitness goals. Not only that, but it can be fun to work out with those you care about. Surrounding yourself with positive people will only push you forward. Whether it’s the friendly competition that will motivate you or simply the support of having someone else work out with you, partnering up is a good way to spice up your routine.
- Go Outside – Feeling tired of being indoors? Bring your workout outside! Whether it’s a hike up a hill or a jog through the woods, research shows that being outside can make people feel more energized. Being more engaged with your surroundings and enjoying a nice view will not only make your workout more interesting but also make you more committed to your goals.
- Encourage Yourself – Sometimes the best way to feel inspired is to remind yourself that you can do it. Leaving yourself notes of motivation can be incredibly therapeutic, as well as providing a way to keep you focused on your goals. Set encouraging reminders for yourself when it’s time to work out, and you’ll find that it can be a fun way to stay motivated. Another way to encourage yourself is to surround yourself with a positive environment. Cut out negative things that make you feel unmotivated or discouraged, so you can more easily focus on attaining your goals.
- Add Music – Listening to music while working out can make your routine more enjoyable and improve performance. It’s been scientifically proven that music engages the body’s sympathetic nervous system, and this activation prepares the body for exercise. Music increases endurance and can accelerate your heart rate, readying you for your workout. Whether you have a specific song or a whole playlist that pumps you up, you’ll find that music can be more motivating and also more fun. You can listen to music if you’re walking, running, lifting weights, or almost any other type of exercise.
- Try New Things – If you’re feeling a little bored with your workout routine, don’t be afraid to get creative and try something new. It could be a fun workout class, a new exercise machine, or a different form of exercise that can reignite your passion to reach your fitness goals. You could find that the new thing you try next might be your favorite way to work out, and you’ll never know unless you try.
A Fun Workout Is Possible. Use Your Imagination.
If the ideas above don't strike you as particularly fun, sit down and make your own list. Try to come up with things that you enjoy already and figure out a way to tie them in with your exercise routine. Think outside the box. A fun exercise regime is one that makes you look forward to working out ... or least no dreading it. If you can make your fitness routine just a little more fun, the odds of you abandoning it will go way down. Give it a shot.
RX Fitness Equipment Is Here to Help You Stick With It
If you're feeling bored with your fitness routine, and you'd like to discuss your goals with a professional, we work with hundreds of personal trainers and fitness coaches and we're happy to offer a referral to one that suits you. If you're looking for a great selection of fitness equipment and accessories, we carry the top brands to fit every goal and budget. And, for some great advice about equipment and accessories, don't forget to check out Tim's best-selling book, Fitness Equipment – A Shopper's Guide, available at Amazon and other online book sellers as well as in our store.
Contact Tim Adams for a free consultation or stop by the store and take something for a test drive. We’re here to help.