Holiday Workouts – Tips for Staying Fit During the Holidays
As everyone knows, while the holidays can be fun and jolly, they can also pose a challenge to your physique, your weight and your overall fitness goals. Between all the festivities and holiday travel, the holiday season is the busiest time of the year. Understandably, many people lose the handle on their workout schedule over this time period. Don’t let that discourage you, however! With some awareness and planning, it’s actually fairly easy to keep trim over the holidays. Leverage these tips for holiday workouts to make sure you stay festive and fit.
Your Holiday Workout Schedule
First, realize that while the holidays are very busy, finding the opportunity to exercise is not impossible. In fact, you don’t even need to carve out large amounts of time to do it. Even short workouts will help keep you on track fitness-wise! Do your best to plan ahead and create opportunities, even brief ones, to get some workout time into your day.
A Few Holiday Workout Tips
- Always warm up – It’s always important to warm up first, and holiday workouts are no different. Do some stretches to loosen up your muscles and jog in place or do a few jumping jacks to get your heart pumping.
- Exercise even while on the go – Traveling is not a good excuse for not getting in your holiday workouts. Whether at home or on the go, you don’t need weights or machines to get in a good workout. Don’t feel limited to your house or hotel room either. If you want fresh air, do your routine in the park or venture out into the local neighborhood for a run or a brisk walk.
- Do cardio wherever and whenever – For a good cardio workout, try jumping jacks, squat jumps, hops, and burpees. For maximum impact, try high intensity interval training (HIIT), a method which burns fat and builds muscle more quickly by alternating back and forth between intensity and frequency of reps. You can do any of these almost anywhere.
- Work out all parts of your body – Lunges, leg curls, and stretching will benefit your lower body, while core exercises like pushups, planks, bicycles, hip thrusts, etc. will really kick your body into gear. There are also many bodyweight exercises that benefit both the upper and lower body. An example is squats. Squats are a great exercise to incorporate into your regular routine, even long after the holidays have ended.
- Sign up for a fitness class – Don’t forget to treat yourself over the holidays! Why not give your body a gift by signing up for some fun fitness classes? Whether yoga or fencing, pick what tickles your fancy and dive into it!. Holiday workouts don't have to be drudgery.
- Join a sports club – Fall and winter are prime seasons for many sports. Consider joining a local league, club, or team. You’ll get in regular valuable workouts without even thinking about it all while socializing and making new friends. It’s a win-win!
Holiday Best Practices
When it comes to holiday food, it’ll take a bit of self discipline and forethought, but you can navigate all of the caloric pitfalls of holidays without missing out on all the fun. Here's how ...
- Stay hydrated – This should be a principle year round, because staying hydrated is vital to so many aspects of the body. Drinking water is great for your skin, energy levels, and metabolism. Drinking lots of water will keep you fuller longer, motivating you to eat less.
- Load up on fruits and vegetables – At most holiday buffets and parties, there is usually a raw, vegetarian, or otherwise healthy option. If you’re hungry, or if you feel pressured to eat, grab a plate and load up on the good stuff. Only allow yourself to indulge after you’ve eaten your greens, by which point you may not even be tempted anymore.
- Eat before going out – This one’s simple. Eat healthy food at home before leaving so that you can more easily avoid temptation at your holiday function.
- Dial back the alcohol – It’s very easy, and perhaps even desirable depending on the dynamics of your family reunion situation, to drink your way through the holidays. However, too much booze and too many sugar drinks can wreak havoc on your fitness goals. Try to stay disciplined. Your body will thank you.
Let RX Fitness Equipment Help You Get Through the Holidays
If you're looking for a great selection of fitness equipment and accessories, we carry the top brands to fit every goal and budget and we're here to make your fitness routine more productive. Stop by our store in Thousand Oaks or give us a call. RX Fitness is here to help with your fitness goals and accessories wish list, whatever they may be. If you'd like to discuss your goals with a professional, we work with hundreds of nutritionists, dietitians, personal trainers, and fitness coaches and we're happy to offer a referral to one that suits you. Come in and let us help you find exactly what you need. And don't forget to check out Tim's best-selling book, Fitness Equipment – A Shopper's Guide, on Amazon and other online book sellers as well as in our store.
Contact Tim Adams for a free consultation or stop by the store and take something for a test drive. We’re here to help.