How to Handle Hunger Cravings After a Workout
Do you ever finish with a tough workout and immediately feel hungry? That’s actually quite normal, but falling prey to those hunger cravings can all but cancel the hard work you just put in. Hunger is something that needs to be addressed before, during, and after a workout. Eating the right foods at the right times, especially snacks, can help you avoid inadvertently undoing your workout.
One Step At A Time
Even the most seasoned athletes, bodybuilders and gym rats have to contend with the food cravings that hit right after a strenuous workout. The most successful ones have learned that those cravings are natural and rather than trying to ignore them, they learn how to manage them with healthy eating habits. We've put together a few simple strategies to help you manage your after-workout hunger cravings.
- Eat more protein. Protein serves a couple of different purposes after a workout. It helps satisfy cravings while also aiding in the rebuilding of muscles.
- Get your protein from foods like eggs, cheese, nuts, seeds, and peanut butter. Protein shakes are also fine as long as they are not packed with sugar.
- Great sources of healthy fats include nuts, eggs, fish, avocado, and dairy. Chia seeds or almonds added to a drink is an excellent source of healthy fats.
- If it’s impossible for you to eat a full meal within that timeframe, be sure to pack healthy snacks when you head to the gym.
- method is especially useful for workouts of an hour or more.
- Staying hydrated helps keep hunger cravings at bay. Sometimes, when you feel hungry, it’s actually your body calling out for hydration. Experts recommend that you drink 8 ounces of water before you eat a meal.
- The later you stay awake, the more likely it is that cravings will take a hold. Get to bed before the thought of snacks enter your head.
- Research has shown that not getting enough sleep awakens the hormones that signal hunger in your body. The last thing you want to do after a hard workout is not get enough sleep and undo your hard work.
Manage Your Hunger Cravings - Don't Ignore Them
It can be frustrating to put in your best effort on your workout only to be left feeling those big hunger cravings when you're done. You can't ignore those cravings but by following the tips outlined above, you should be able to work out, eat well, and reap the benefits that come with both. Good health!
RX Fitness Equipment Is Here to Help
If you're trying to figure out how to manage your hunger cravings after you workout and you'd like to discuss it with a professional, RX Fitness works with hundreds of coaches, personal trainers, and nutritionists. We'd be happy to refer you to one who can help. If you're looking for a great selection of fitness equipment and accessories of all kinds, we carry the top brands to fit every goal and budget and we're here to make your fitness routine more productive. Stop by our store in Thousand Oaks or give us a call. And don't forget to check out Tim's best-selling book, Fitness Equipment – A Shopper's Guide, available at Amazon and other online book sellers as well as in our store.
Contact Tim Adams for a free consultation or stop by the store and take something for a test drive. We’re here to help.