Instructions for the Kettlebell Get Up Plank
Time for another in our series on kettlebell exercises. This week, we're illustrating the proper execution of the Kettlebell Get-Up Plank routine. This exercise is for INTERMEDIATE users and should be approached, as with all weightlifting exercises, with care and preparation. If you're not yet at the intermediate level, this is not an exercise you should attempt. The muscle groups most affected by this exercise routine will be the lower back, middle back, trapezius, shoulders, triceps, abdominals, and hips. Don't forget to warmup before you begin your workout. If you're new to kettlebells, we strongly urge you to workout under the supervision of a fitness professional. To see our other posts on kettlebell exercises, click "kettlebells" in the Categories menu to your right.
Target Muscle Groups
Kettlebell Get Up Plank Exercise Steps
- Start out in a side-plank position that sees your right leg placed on top of your left leg with both knees bent. Your left forearm should be holding your body weight on the side of your left leg and hips.
- The kettlebell should be placed in your right hand, with the elbow bent and the weight placed on your forearm.
- As you lift your hips, ensure that your body remains straight from the knees to the shoulders. As you do this, press the kettlebell upwards to the ceiling. Your eyes should be facing forward as you hold the weight over your shoulder.
- Your hips and arms should be slowly lowered back to the starting position.
- Try to perform 8-10 repetitions before switching to the other side. It is important that the kettlebell be raised directly over your shoulder with your eyes facing forward.
Approach With Caution
It’s always best to work with a fitness professional when exercising with kettlebells in order to assure proper form and procedure and to avoid injury, particularly if you're new to kettlebell exercises. If you need some help locating a fitness coach or personal trainer near you, give us a call. We can help.
We've Got the Right Kettlebells for You
RX Fitness Equipment in Thousand Oaks carries a complete line of kettlebells and accessories in a variety of weights to fit every goal and budget. Stop by today for expert advice and friendly help in finding the kettlebell equipment that is perfect for YOU. If you're looking for a great selection of fitness equipment and accessories of all kinds, we carry the top brands to fit every goal and budget and we're here to make your fitness routine more productive. And don't forget to check out Tim's best-selling book, Fitness Equipment – A Shopper's Guide, available at Amazon and other online book sellers as well as in our store.