Instructions for the Kettlebell Overhead Reverse Lunge
Time, once again, for one more post in our series on the proper execution of a Kettlebell Exercise. The kettlebell overhead reverse lunge affects the lower back, shoulders, triceps, quadriceps, calves, gluteus maximus and hamstrings. This exercise should only be done by those at the advanced level and you should always stretch and warm up before beginning your kettlebell exercise routine.
Target Muscle Groups
Kettlebell Overhead Reverse Lunge Exercise Steps
Follow these instructions carefully to properly execute the Kettlebell Overhead Reverse Lunge. It's always a good idea to have a spotter nearby when working on advanced exercises with any kind of free weights.
- Start with a kettlebell sitting between your feet.
- The correct starting position requires you to bend your knees and push your butt back. Maintain your gaze straight ahead as you swing the kettlebell between your legs.
- Use your hips and knees to drive through, bringing the kettlebell up to shoulder level with your wrist facing forward as you get into a slight squat position.
- Push upward and press the kettlebell up over your head.
- Once you have the kettlebell locked overhead, drop into a reverse lunge by extending the leg that is opposite the arm holding the weight, while you flex your knee and use your hips to lower your body. The knee in back should be lowered until it is just above the level of the floor.
- Use your hips once more to get your torso back to an upright position.
- Alternate your legs and arms, doing 12-15 repetitions on each side.
Avoid Injury by Working With a Coach
You should consider working with a fitness professional when exercising with kettlebells, especially if you're relatively new to using kettlebell exercise. This will help ensure proper form and procedure and will help you avoid injury. If you would like some assistance in locating a personal trainer or fitness coach near you, call Matt Shandy or Tim Adams. We can help.
We've Got Your Kettlebells
RX Fitness Equipment in Thousand Oaks, Anaheim Hills, Fountain Valley and Mission Viejo carries a complete line of kettlebells and accessories in a variety of weights to fit every goal and budget. Stop by today for expert advice and friendly help in finding the kettlebell equipment that is perfect for YOU. If you're looking for a great selection of fitness equipment and accessories of all kinds, we carry the top brands to fit your needs and we're here to make your fitness routine more productive. And don't forget to check out Tim's best-selling book, Fitness Equipment – A Shopper's Guide, available at Amazon and other online book sellers as well as in our store.