7 Low Carb Tricks to Help You Feel Full All Day
One of the biggest concerns that many people have with a low carb diet is the inability to feel satisfied after eating. Feeling "full" is the principle measure that we use to decide that we've had enough to eat. But it's also important to stave off hunger until the next meal. Feeling hungry between meals and snacks is one of the biggest reasons people "fall off the wagon" when trying to eat more sensibly and lose a few extra pounds. The absence of carbs in the diet can leave people feeling hungry even when they're nutritionally okay. It is possible to structure a sensible, nutritious eating plan that is still relatively low in carbohydrates. But remember, your body needs carbs as part of a balanced diet, so you can't delete them completely for the sake of losing a few pounds. We've put together a few low carb tricks to help you stay with your nutritional plan without feeling deprived and hungry between meals. These are just a few suggestions. There are lots of ways to make a low carb diet satisfying. We hope these help.
Our Favorite Low Carb Tricks
- Use Almond Flour – Use ground almond flour instead of regular flour when preparing your meals. Almond flour is packed with protein, which will help you feel full. You will barely notice the difference, plus you can use almond flour to create all kinds of delicious items, which include muffins, pancakes, bread, and much more.
- Try Cauliflower Rice – Cauliflower rice can serve as a fantastic substitute for mashed potatoes. As well as being a healthier option that potatoes, cauliflower is a lower carbohydrate vegetable that will fit perfectly within your diet plan. Ground up cauliflower can be used to make mashed flakes, while pizza crust can be made from it, too.
- Spiralize Your Vegetables – A spiralizer is a great little addition to your collection of kitchen tools. This handy item will turn vegetables into strips that look similar to noodles. Alternatively, you can also use a kitchen knife to cut veggies into smaller strips, which can then be used to make healthy pasta and noodles. While zucchini is the most popular vegetable for noodles, you can also use peppers, eggplant, or any other vegetable that is firm enough to be cut into strips or spiralized.
The Tried and True
There are some low carb tricks that have been around for generations, and that's because they've proven to work. These are "tricks" that you've no doubt seen before because they are some of the most popular and most effective at helping people eat well and feel good about it.
- Lettuce Wraps – One of the easiest low carb hacks available. Instead of using tortilla for a wrap, use lettuce. Add your low carb favorites, such as meat, veggies, and salsa to create a yummy, flour-free wrap. Your wraps will still taste amazing and will have the benefit of being lower in calories and higher in nutritional value. Mix things up by using different types of lettuce, or even cabbage leaves with your wrap.
- Vegetable Chips – For many people, potato chips are one of the toughest things to give up when switching to a low carb diet. Homemade vegetable chips are the perfect substitution for the potato chip lovers in your family. There are several different vegetables you can use to make chips, with squash, zucchini and eggplant among the most popular. Sweet potatoes are also a great option. Veggie chips are easy to prepare, as all you need to do is bake them in the oven and then add olive oil, sea salt, or spices for flavor.
- Citrus Flavoring – Salad dressings and sauces taste great, but they tend to be high in calories. Citrus flavoring serves as a fabulous low carb substitute, with lemon or lime adding a fresh splash of flavor to a variety of different dishes. Search for recipes online or do a little bit of experimenting in the kitchen to see how citrus can add some welcome flavor to your low carb meals.
- Think Creatively – It’s easy to feel a little limited with your food options when following a low carb diet, so you need to get a little creative with your ingredients to help keep things fresh and exciting. Think about trying vegetables that are not usually part of your diet, or use citrus or low carb sauces to introduce exciting new flavors.
Low Carb Doesn't Have to Suck
We cannot overemphasize the fact that low carb does not have to mean low flavor and bland. Using the low carb tricks above should get you well on your way to finding your own food hacks to make your new regime healthy, low in carbohydrates and, most of all, flavorful. There is no need to fall into a world of bland food and unexciting meals when going on a low carb diet. Use the tips above to make your experience fun and fresh.
RX Fitness Equipment Is Here to Help
If you're on a low carb regimen, or you're thinking of starting one and you'd like to discuss is with a professional, RX Fitness works with hundreds of nutritionists, coaches, and personal trainers. We'd be happy to refer you to one who can help. If you're looking for a great selection of fitness equipment and accessories of all kinds, we carry the top brands to fit every goal and budget and we're here to make your fitness routine more productive. Stop by our store in Thousand Oaks or give us a call. And don't forget to check out Tim's best-selling book, Fitness Equipment – A Shopper's Guide, available at Amazon and other online book sellers as well as in our store.
Contact Tim Adams for a free consultation or stop by the store and take something for a test drive. We’re here to help.