Get Your Fitness Fix – Best Snacks for Energy
Snacking for energy? Yep! Have you ever heard the saying, “great bodies are made in the kitchen, not in the gym?” It’s not an exaggeration. The most important part of getting fit is your diet. Those in tune with health and fitness and aiming to be the healthiest version of themselves know one thing about food; it's fuel. With the right knowledge and application, food can be used not only to help you achieve the body you want, but to provide you with the energy and nutrients you need to stick to your fitness goals and daily routine.
That's why choosing the right snacks for energy at the right times can be so great. A healthy snack regimen can help you clean up your diet, improve your mood, energy, concentration, and more, and see better results from your workouts! We've got a list of a few great snacks you should try.
Snacking for Energy - 101
Here's our short list of great energy snacks to get you started. With a little research and some advanced planning, you should never be without a healthy, energy-packed snack to get you through the day. Do a little experimenting and start building a list of your own favorites.
- Edamame – Soy beans, you say? Yuck! Don’t be so quick to write them off. Salted and peppered, edamame is actually quite tasty, and VERY healthy. It packs quite the punch with a great mix of protein, slow-digesting carbs and fat that will keep you from being hungry and keep your energy levels steady. Plus, edamame has good stuff like iron, magnesium, and vitamin K. Buy some from your local farmer’s market or frozen from your grocery store.
- Frozen Grapes – Not only a great energy snack, but frozen grapes are a wonderfully easy and refreshing snack to prepare. Just throw some grapes in the freezer and give them a few minutes for a sweet, delightful treat that you can pop in your mouth at any time of day. When grapes freeze, they don’t become solid, but instead get a nice creamy consistency that’s similar to a popsicle. Delicious! Opt for red grapes, which are high in antioxidants.
- Hard Boiled Eggs – Eggs are one of the most wholesome foods in nature. A hard-boiled egg isn’t just for breakfast either. Boil a dozen at once and store in the fridge for easy snacking. This humble energy snack is packed with anabolic amino acids, protein, healthy fats, and other good stuff!
- Dark Chocolate – Sometimes you just can’t avoid those sweet cravings. If you’re feeling the urge for something a little more indulgent, dark chocolate is a great choice. A small piece is a great energy snack and comes with health benefits, providing antioxidants with a little sugar boost while improving mood and reducing the risk to heart health.
- Jerky – Looking for a lean, mean energy snack? Jerky is good for more than just road trips. While you shouldn’t gorge on the stuff, a few pieces makes for a great high-protein snack that is filling and delicious. With dozens of mouth-watering flavors to try, you’re bound to find something that suits your taste!
- String Cheese – Not just for kids, string cheese is a convenient way to get a protein and calcium rich snack. Fun, delicious, and convenient in single-serve packages, string cheese is a low-cost energy snack for when the munchies strike!
- Nut Butter – Any kind of nut butter is good stuff. Rich in healthy fats, proteins, and minerals, nut butters are a delicious way to consume some energy! Opt for the portion-controlled packages for stress-free snacking for energy.
- Protein Creamsicle – Feeling a little fancy? Create your own adult version of this kids treat by mixing 1 cup of vanilla protein powder with 1 cup of your favorite type of juice (orange and tropical juices work best). Throw in a cup of ice, shake or blend together and, viola! You’ll get a power-packed energy snack in a delicious package!
When It Comes to Snacking for Energy – Choose Wisely
Remember, there's nothing wrong with having a snack to boost your energy until your next meal, or just before or after your workout. The key is to choose the right snack. One that will give you the energy boost you're looking for, taste delicious, and still be good for you. Use the suggestions above as a starting point and create your own list. One that we didn't include in our list, but is a tasty variation of that last item ... instead of fruit juice, use a tablespoon of peanut butter blended into the protein powder shake. You'll love it! Snacking for energy does not have to be mundane.
Let RX Fitness Equipment Help
If you'd like some help putting together your own nutrition plan, discuss your goals with a professional. We work with hundreds of nutritionists, dietitians, personal trainers, and fitness coaches and we're happy to offer a referral to one that suits you. Come in and let us help you find exactly what you need. If you're looking for a great selection of fitness equipment and accessories, we carry the top brands to fit every goal and budget and we're here to make your fitness routine more productive. Stop by our store in Thousand Oaks or give us a call. RX Fitness is here to help with your fitness goals and equipment wish list, whatever they may be.
Contact Tim Adams for a free consultation or stop by the store and take something for a test drive. We’re here to help.