Instructions for the Two Handed Kettlebell Swing
It's been quite a while since we published one of our series of instructional posts in the proper execution of Kettlebell Exercises. The two handed kettlebell swing affects the lower back, shoulders, gluteusmaximus, hips and hamstrings. This exercise is suited to the beginner level and above, but no matter what level you may be, always stretch and warm up before beginning any exercise routine.
Target Muscle Groups
Two Handed Kettlebell Swing Exercise Steps
- Place your feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart and stand in a spine-neutral position.
- Place your arms in front of your body and use both hands, palms down, to hold the kettlebell.
- With your knees bent slightly and hips thrust back, adopt a squat like position, but refrain from going as far down.
- Using a fluid, explosive motion, drive your hips forward while swinging the kettlebell forward and up to shoulder height. You should feel your hips and glutes engaging in this motion. It is those muscles that should be doing the work, not your arms.
- The kettlebell should then be lowered back between your legs and the swinging motion repeated for 12-15 repetitions. The actual number of reps will depend on the weight of your kettle bell and specific exercise routine.
Approach With Caution
It’s always best to work with a fitness professional when exercising with kettlebells in order to assure proper form and procedure and to avoid injury, particularly if you're new to kettlebell exercises. If you need some help locating a fitness coach or personal trainer near you, give us a call. We can help.
We've Got the Right Kettlebells for You
RX Fitness Equipment in Thousand Oaks carries a complete line of kettlebells and accessories in a variety of weights to fit every goal and budget. Stop by today for expert advice and friendly help in finding the kettlebell equipment that is perfect for YOU.
If you have questions about any of these kettlebell exercises, or would like a referral to a qualified fitness trainer, contact Tim Adams for a free consultation or stop by the store and take a test swing. We’re here to answer your questions.