Which Are Most Important to Your Workout?
When you ask a runner why they enjoy running so much, you might hear a variety of answers; it’s a great workout, it’s fun to do with friends, or they did it in high school. However, many people also take up running because you don’t need much equipment to get started. The price point of entry can be much lower for running than for other disciplines that require hardware. While you don’t have to have all of the bells and whistles that more seasoned runners might rely on before hitting the trail, it's still wise to invest in your exercise routine. Quality running equipment and accessories can make a noticeable difference in how much you enjoy your routine, and whether or not you stick to it over the long haul. Here, we have listed a few accessories for runners that we think should be high on your list.
Accessories for Runners That You Should Consider
- Good Shoes – Not every "sneaker" is a running shoe. Shoes make a huge difference in the quality of your run and the health of your feet. Runners can sustain injury due to poorly-fitting shoes or the wrong type of shoes for the terrain they run on. A great pair of running shoes should fit comfortably, offer good support and absorb shock when you hit the ground so that you can run long distances with ease. Invest in the best running shoes that fit your budget. You won't regret it.
- Insoles – If you don’t have the funds to invest in top-quality running shoes, custom-fitted insoles could dramatically improve your current pair of shoes. Insoles that are properly fitted to your feet and your shoes will give you tailored support exactly where your feet need it. Even purchasing insoles online or in-store for $50 or less can give you good results and boost your comfort on long runs.
- Great Socks – Your socks can be just as important as your shoes on a long run! The right pair of socks should be comfortable and not slip when you’re running. You should avoid any seams sitting uncomfortably on the bottom of your feet or around your toes, as they could lead to callouses over time. Good running socks can also wick away moisture from your feet, making your run just a little more comfortable.
- Compression Tights – There are awesome compression tights for men and women designed with runners in mind. High-quality compression tights will have different spots of compression on the garment so that you can speed up your recovery and perform better during a run without losing mobility. Lower quality tights have all-over compression that can reduce your mobility and make it harder to move. Find the right ones for your running style and your budget, and take a little of the pain out of your gain.
- Smart Watches – Certainly not a necessity, smart watches are a fun way to listen to music, text your friends and keep track of your steps while you’re on a run. Depending on the watch that you get, you can also keep track of your exact route through apps like Strava. The best watches will track your VO2 max, heart rate, calories burned, pace, cadence, mileage and stride length.
- Bluetooth Headphones – As accessories for runners go, this is another "luxury" to be sure, but one that has the potential to make your run much more enjoyable. There are countless models of Bluetooth headphones and earbuds at different price points on the market today. This style of headphone or earbud allows you to go for a run without worrying about annoying cords and wires getting in the way and restricting your movement. Some higher-end models also come with noise canceling features that allow you to zone out on your run and enjoy your music, but be aware that these can pose risk in areas where you need to be alert to traffic.
Choosing the Right Accessories for Runners
Choosing the right equipment and accessories for your workout routine is crucial, and running is no different. A good accessory should make your routine more productive, more comfortable, more pleasant, or safer – or all of the above. It should enhance your workout, not distract from it. And, it needs to fit your workout style and your budget. With a little time and research, you can find the ones that fit most of your immediate requirements. You can always upgrade to higher quality equipment later, as your needs and your budget allow. If you need to talk it over with an expert, give us a call or stop by the store. We're always available to help.
RX Fitness Equipment Is Here to Help You Make the Best Choices
If you're thinking about adding running to your workout routine, and you'd like to discuss your goals with a professional, we work with hundreds of personal trainers and fitness coaches and we're happy to offer a referral to one that suits you. If you're looking for a great selection of fitness equipment and accessories, we carry the top brands to fit every goal and budget. And, for some great advice about equipment and accessories, don't forget to check out Tim's best-selling book, Fitness Equipment – A Shopper's Guide, available at Amazon and other online book sellers as well as in our store.
Contact Tim Adams for a free consultation or stop by the store and take something for a test drive. We’re here to help.