Spicing Up Your Clean Eating Meals
In part five of our clean eating series, we're going to discuss how you can spice up your meals to suit your taste and your family's taste to make them more appealing to everyone. In parts one through four we explained the basics of clean eating, offered some guidelines for getting started, gave you some tips to improve your shopping habits and added a few cooking tips to help you become more creative. But the truth is, if you've been eating fast food for years, switching to clean eating may be a tough slog. Adding a spicy touch to your meals can help make the move easier. Adding herbs and spices can also make clean eating a pleasurable experience. Have your family members choose the flavors that they like and then add them into recipes that you can all enjoy. Besides adding a welcome blast of flavor to a meal, herbs and spices can also deliver some healthy nutrients you need. Below, we've included some spices that come with a variety of health benefits. You should also download the accompanying free report, which includes all six parts of this blog series.
Part Five – Bringing The Spice
- Cinnamon. Homemade granola or muffins are just a couple of places where you can add a dash of cinnamon for flavor.
- Cinnamon is good for people with diabetes or high cholesterol levels. It’s also good at combating inflammation.
- The chemical curcumin is part of turmeric and is important because it has been shown to reduce the risk of cancer. Turmeric adds a splash of color to your meals without needing to resort to food coloring.
- This is another spice that helps reduce inflammation. It also helps with brain function and increases antioxidants.
- Curcumin also reduces the risk of heart disease.
- The antioxidant properties of thyme help protect cells from damage.
- You will also find essential dietary fiber in this herb. You can use it in things like homemade pasta sauces in a clean eating plan. Omelets and soups are also good places for thyme.
- Chicken and meat dishes both serve as good places to use rosemary. It’s very fragrant and tastes great.
- Rosemary is good for the digestive system.
- Rosemary is also good for focus and brain function. It is also helps keep brain cells youthful for a long period of time.
- Rosemary can also reduce the risk of cancer.
- Mint has a high antioxidant level and comes with many health benefits.
- Mint acts as a decongestant and is great when you have a cold or flu. It’s also good for digestion. If you are cooking lamb or chicken, a little sprig of mint can add a welcome splash of flavor.
- Much like other herbs, basil is packed with antioxidants. It also delivers vitamin A and K, plus it provides dietary fiber and helps reduce inflammation in the body.
- You will very often find basil used in homemade pasta sauce. It also works well in soup and in salad dressings. Fresh basil is also a very nice addition to a salad.
- Basil has a strong smell that can add some spice to many clean eating meals.
Clean Eating Does Not Mean Bland Eating
One of the best ways to add flavor to your clean eating recipes is to incorporate more herbs and spices. They help with flavor, but they also deliver vitamins, minerals, and nutrients that can keep you healthy. Herbs and spices also make it more fun to cook at home. If you are having trouble getting other family members to eat clean, the addition of herbs and spices can add flavor that might just pull them in. Try a little stovetop chemistry for yourself.
Download Our Free Report
This is installment number five in our series on clean eating. The entire series has been compiled into a report in PDF format. If you would like to download and read the entire report, you will find it HERE. Our final installment of this report will appear soon on this blog. Good luck and healthy eating.
If you think you'd like to explore eating clean but would like to discuss it with a professional, RX Fitness works with hundreds of nutritionists, coaches, and personal trainers. We'd be happy to refer you to one who can help. If you're looking for a great selection of fitness equipment and accessories of all kinds, we carry the top brands to fit every goal and budget and we're here to make your fitness routine more productive. Stop by any of our four store locations or give us a call. And don't forget to check out Tim's best-selling book, Fitness Equipment – A Shopper's Guide, available at Amazon and other online book sellers as well as in our store.